I swear I eat things other than chocolate! I’m just getting over being sick and today was my first real day of having an appetite. And I wanted chocolate! So I made this:
(non-dairy!!) Milk-Chocolate Rice Cake
you will need:
- dark baking chocolate
- unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- gluten-free rice cake
1. In a small saucepan, melt dark chocolate. Quantities are kinda hazy here, so bear with me. I believe I used about 5 small squares/half a serving (120 cal.)
2. Once the chocolate is mostly melted, add a few splashes of almond milk. Stir stir stir.
3. Add agave nectar. Stir!
4. Continue stirring/cooking on medium heat. You have to be sure to keep the chocolate moving around so it doesn’t burn. (Is burned chocolate better than no chocolate? Discuss.)
5. Once it gets to a thick-ish, syrupy-but-not-too-liquidy consistency, it’s probably ready. Remove from heat and spread over a gluten-free rice cake of your choosing. I used Mother’s unsalted whole grain plain rice cake.
6. Put rice cake in fridge; wait. Once it’s cooled and the chocolate holds it shape, it’s ready! Enjoy!
Notes: You can, of course, use whatever kind of non-dairy milk you like best. If you use a sweetened non-dairy milk, you may want to omit the agave. Additionally, you can use any type of sweetener, or no sweetener at all. The liquid chocolate can be poured over anything and can also be used as an vegan icing for cakes or cupcakes! Go wild. You deserve it, you gluten- and dairy-free chef.
Totally Unrelated (but decidedly gluten-free) Note: leave me some looove in the form of questions & comments yall. If you’re gluten and/or dairy-free I wanna hear all about your cooking adventures and misadventures, and why you decided to go -free, and how long, etc., etc.